A Potpourri of Thoughts

A Potpourri of Thoughts
Penning down my thoughts while sipping my cup of coffee !!!

Friday, May 27, 2011

The Eden Experience!


I don’t follow cricket much because I believe it to be over hyped (also becoming an overdose with the IPL 20-20 format) and the cause for all the rest of the sports being relegated to the backseat. It has been made into a religion with a humongous following and the non-followers appear to be just by the handful. However the very fact that it hogs the limelight amongst all the sports and is always the talk of the town, makes it the very cause for anxiety for non-believers like me. So when the IPL fever had peaked , I decided to pay my maiden visit to the iconic Eden Gardens and see for myself what the religion meant to its followers.

All the information that I was loaded with ,regarding the ensuing match was ,about the playing teams and their respective captains, in addition to a couple of other players of international repute on both sides. This was for sure not going to help me in any way to enjoy the game.With this handicap and a lodged dislike for the slow game , I was all set to witness the CSK vs KKR match at Eden on the 7th of April.

Now the question was, which team to support!It was not difficult for me to align with CSK. Reasons being ,there were too many to support KKR at the home ground, so the visitors needed to be backed , I didn’t like SRK and because Dhoni after the world cup win had done the country proud, and was being called “ Man with the Midas touch”, not to miss out on his good looks. So to show our solidarity my companions and me, put on yellow t-shirts and headed for the iconic ground which is the second largest stadium in the world with the capacity to seat 1,20,000 spectators , post renovation.

Each player was acknowledged before the start of the game and that was for the first time , I was hearing most of the names. But surprisingly the cheers from the crowd were reserved for them as well, though in no way comparable to those meant for names like Dhoni, Gambhir and Brett Lee. An element of interest arose when the cheergirls from KKR took their places and the crowd applauded vehemently ,however surprise took over when for CSK the cheergirls were accompanied by cheer boys. Anyways KKR had my support at least for their cheering team with the girls displaying lively and gracious moves during every small interval in contrast to the dull CSK cheerteam.

The game started at the Indian Standard Time just before my patience was about to run out.CSK won the toss and decided on first strike. Firstly watching the tiny players, fussing around with an even tinier, difficult to locate ball,did not interest me. Secondly I had no idea who was on the crease and who was bowling. My gaze would instantly shift to the cheer-girls who were after all apparently filled with more life than the sloppy players. Soon I found the need to munch on something, so we headed for purchasing snacks which to my utter dismay were selling at approximately three times the market price. Having shelled out money generously though with a little loath, we headed back for our seats.

The game gradually progressed from its boring stage ,the stadium was roaring and all of a sudden there appeared to be massive energy flowing through the crowds. My interest was brought back when the loss of a wicket produced a thunderous uproar or a subsequent four garnered considerable appreciation. It was then that I was reminded of the fact that Eden has indeed a vociferous crowd. Gradually I could sense the stadium brimming with life.People were cheering like wild, every individual seemed to be thoroughly involved, with their cheers, little dances of celebration, waving of hands,placards,water bottles or anything that the hand grasped and every time it appeared that the cameras were aiming in their direction, the intensity and enthusiasm of the crowd almost multiplied. Curiously I found myself to be one amongst the crowd doing exactly the same. There were times when a mighty four would made me stand on the seat and cheer with the others.

The best experience however,was when an apparently unceasing Mexican wave initiated at one end of the stand and did almost six to seven rounds, before dying down. This showed how every individual was part of the game or the religion and thus was in his own capacity a true worshiper.

I was thoroughly enjoying the vibrant and charged atmosphere at the stadium and had almost lost count of the time. For us as a group ,much of the fun lay in cheering for CSK after every mighty four which would instantly be cut short by a counter support for KKR as we were surrounded by their supporters who were by the horde. The friendly banter, cheering, counter cheering and booing continued inspite of sore throats and hoarse voice.

All this not just brought back my interest to the players on the field but also to the game which I had labeled as dull and boring.

However just when the interest and adrenaline seemed to be soaring, the rain played the spoilt sport and the game was brought to a halt. When the downpour refused to contain, KKR was doled out an easy win on account of the Duckworth-Lewis method which I believe was quite unfair, as in the 20-20 format there is always a fair chance of coming back into the game.With just half the overs bowled KKR was declared winner by 10 runs

But for me there was nothing to lose as I had had one of the best times of my life watching the game. As we strolled out of the stadium made heady by the charged atmosphere , I wanted more.I did not regret even a single moment spent at Eden in spite of the rain marred match.

It took me just that day to realize what the might of cricket was, as it was not just the players but also the spectators that made the match worth watching.And on that day,becoming transformed into a follower of the religion called cricket, was a remarkable experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment